Learn from yesterday, live for today,

hope for tomorrow.

February 21, 2010

A Rainy Day in the Kitchen!


With all the nasty weather that was here today, I decided it was a good day to try this new recipe one of my pre-k parents gave me. It was called "Cake Balls"!! Here is how it goes:

1. You pick any cake of your choice. You can do one out of a box, but I figured with my spare time...what the heck?!?! I'll make it all from scratch...so I picked a chocolate cake. Here is the recipe:

1 cup and 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white sugar
1/8 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup shortening
1 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

You mix all the dry ingredients together, then add the rest. Beat on low 1 minute, then on medium 2 minutes. Then you bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes. This recipe has been cut in half, so it is only for 12 servings. (It still makes a lot!!) I used a 9x9 pan so it would not burn.


2. You can use 1/2 tub of icing of your choice, or make it from scratch. Here was the recipe I used for my chocolate icing:

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/6 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. I also had cut this recipe in half so it would only make about 1 cup instead of 2 cups.



3. After all this is made and somewhat cooled off, tear the cake into crumbs and mix the icing together.

I realize it looks kind of gross, but it tasted wonderful!! From here, I just rolled it into balls and placed it on a baking sheet. Once you do that, you want to freeze them for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

4. Once they are frozen, melt almond bark, dip them in, let them cool and ENJOY!! They are wonderful (we also used the extra almond and threw some candy canes in to make peppermint bark!!) YUM!!


It was a fun day of trying new things!! Hope you had a wonderful rainy day as well!

1 comment:

  1. Look at you go! Ha! I am impressed! What's a girl gotta do to get some of those!? Okay, maybe just one would be okay! They look awesome! Glad you made the most of such a yucky day!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Followers

Lucida Handwriting



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com

Mixed Bouquet Background